Skip to form

City of Greenfield

7325 W. Forest Home Ave., Greenfield , WI, 53220, US



Who Needs an Original Operator’s (Bartender’s) License?

Any person 18 or older who is serving or selling alcohol beverages in an establishment with a Class A, B or C license must obtain an operator’s license (commonly called a “bartender’s license”), unless the person is under the “immediate supervision” (see below) of one of the following:

  • The Licensee
  • Someone with the privilege of an operator’s license
  • The approved agent of a corporation or limited liability company
  • A person with an operator’s license
  • A person with a manager’s license, Wis. Stat. sec. 125.18

“Immediate Supervision”

The licensee, members of the licensee’s immediate family who are 18 or older, a licensed operator, a licensed manager, or approved agent must be able to see, at all times, the activities of those persons serving alcohol beverages that don't have a license.  It is not enough for the person supervising merely to be on the premises.  OAG 9-10-62 (informal opinion).

The operator’s license allows you to work at any licensed establishment within the City of Greenfield.


Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and have either:

  • Completed a Responsible Beverage Server Training Course within the past 2 years; (the training course must be approved by the WI Dept. of Revenue and a Certificate of Completion must be submitted with the application.  For a list of approved courses click here; or
  • Held an operator’s license, retail alcohol license or manager’s license in Wisconsin within the past 2 years. (a certified copy of the operator’s, retail or manager’s license must be submitted with the applicationClick here for an example)


Once the application has been submitted, an email will be sent when the invoice is ready to be paid.

  • Original Operator's License - $50
  • Background Check Fee - $10

**Please note when paying for your license online with a credit card, there will be a transaction fee of 2.5% with a minimum of $2.00 added to your payment**  If you want to avoid the fee, you can mail a check to:

City Clerk's Office
7325 W. Forest Home Ave., Rm, 102
Greenfield, WI 53220

Deadline for Application Submittal

Applications must be approved by the Greenfield Common Council.  Applications must be submitted at least 13 days prior to a Council meeting to be eligible for consideration. The Council meets on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month.  From June through September, the Council meets only once per month (on the 3rd Tuesday of each month). If your employer needs you to start right away, see the section below on applying for a Provisional Operator’s License.

License Period

License year begins July 1 and ends on June 30th of the following year. Once the license is approved, you will be notified via email that you can access it for printing or viewing electronically through your BS&A online account.

Renewal Applicants

If you held an operator’s license in the City of Greenfield during the previous license year, complete the Renewal operator license application.

If it has been more than 1 license year since you held an operator’s license in the City of Greenfield, complete the original operator’s license application and submit the documentation listed under “Requirements.”

Who Needs a Provisional Operator’s (Bartender’s) License?

If your employer needs you to start work as soon as possible, then you can apply for the Provisional Operator’s License.  You must also simultaneously apply for an Original Operator’s License (which requires Common Council approval to issue).  A provisional license is ready within a week.


Applicants must submit a letter from their employer requesting that a provisional operator’s license be issued.  The letter needs to include the applicant’s name, place of employment, and signature of supervisor/manager.  In addition, applicants must be at least 18 years of age.


Once the application has been submitted, an email will be sent when the invoice is ready to be paid.

  • Provisional Operator's License - $15

License Period

A provisional operator’s license is valid for 60 days or until an Original Operator’s License is issued.  Applicants must pass a background check. The process takes approximately one week from the submission of the paperwork and fees. Once the background check is approved, you will be notified via email that you can access it for printing or viewing electronically through your BS&A online account.




7325 W. Forest Home Ave., Room 102
Greenfield, WI 53220
Telephone: (414)-329-5219
Fax: (414)-543-0591

I hearby make application to the Common Council of the City of Greenfield for a license to serve fermented malt beverages and intoxicating liquors, subject to all the limitations imposed by Sections 125.17, 125.32(2) and 125.68(2) of the Wisconsin Statutes and all acts amendatory thereof and supplementary thereto, and hereby agree to comply with all laws, resolutions, ordinances, and regulations, Federal, State, or Local, affecting the sale of such beverages and liquors if a license be granted me. 

In applying for licensing within the City of Greenfield, I understand that I am required to provide my full name, address and other information necessary to conduct a background check.


I am applying for: (check all that apply)

Home Address

Date of Birth & City and State of Birth

In answering the following questions, understand that all convictions or pending offenses must be reported, even if they occurred years ago, or in a different jurisdiction, and even if they do not appear on the Wisconsin Court System’s website (CCAP). The only exception would be a charge that has been formally expunged (not common). THE OMISSION OF ANY CONVICTION OR PENDING CHARGE WILL DELAY THE PROCESSING OF YOUR APPLICATION AND MAY REQUIRE YOU TO APPEAR BEFORE THE CITY COUNCIL TO EXPLAIN THE OMISSION. If you have any questions about your record before answering these questions, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Justice at (608) 266-7314. Note that a conviction or arrest record will not necessarily disqualify you from being issued the requested license. Additional information can be found here:

Other than a traffic offense (excluding a traffic offense involving alcohol, such as Operating While Intoxicated, which MUST be reported), have you EVER been convicted of violating ANY law or ordinance?

Other than for a traffic offense (excluding a pending traffic offense involving alcohol, such as Operating While Intoxicated, which MUST be reported), do you have ANY pending charges against you alleging that you violated ANY law or ordinance?


Proof of successfully completing a beverage server course.

Click Here to Upload

Certified copy of a valid license held within the past two years from another municipality.

Click Here to Upload

Please upload a written request from the applicant's supervisor/manager stating: 

 "Please issue, (name of applicant) a Provisional Operator's License for (place of employment)," with supervisor/manager's name and title.

Letter from employer

Click Here to Upload


Sign Here

Choose how to sign