Skip to form

City of Greenfield

7325 W. Forest Home Ave., Greenfield , WI, 53220, US



Who Needs This License?

Every person conducting or engaging in the business of providing entertainment, including but not limited to; maintaining or operating any circus, carnival, show, exhibition, motion picture show, shows of all kinds, all sporting contests and athletic events, including exhibitions, concerts, lectures, stage play, bowling, dancing, gold, swimming, side shows, amusement parks and all forms of recreation therein, billiards, pool, operatic performances, theatrical performances and any other form of diversion, sport, pastime or recreation indoors or outdoors within the City.


  • Applications for entertainment involving shows, exhibitions, circuses and carnivals must include a certificate of insurance of public liability insurance in the amounts of $100,000/$300,000/$10,000 with an endorsement to the effect that the City shall be indemnified and held harmless from any and all claims, damages or judgements, arising from the granting of the license.
  • Applicants for entertainment involving amusement rides, including coin-operated, and live animals used to give rides to customers, must have all rides registered every year with the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, Division of Industry Services, prior to opening to the public and operating. The City of Greenfield Fire Department must verify state registration prior to opening to the public and operating.
  • No licensee shall keep or use any ponies, horses, overstock or other animals within 500 feet of any dwelling or eating place in this City.
  • No show or exhibition shall be permitted to operate within 500 feet of any adjoining residential dwelling in the City.
  • No food of any sort shall be served unless the food handlers have first obtained a license form the Health Officer.
  • Inspection approvals are needed. See “Inspection Approvals” section.

Application Process

Submit the following:

  • Entertainment License application.
  • Supplemental List for agent, manager/person in charge, Officers, Directors
  • $150 application fee – once the application is submitted, you will recieve an email once your invoice is ready to be paid.
  • $10 background check fee per person for individuals listed on the Supplemental List. See chart below.

**Please note when paying for your license online with a credit card, there will be a transaction fee of 2.5% with a minimum of $2.00 added to your payment**  If you want to avoid the fee, you can mail a check to:

City Clerk's Department
7325 W. Forest Home Ave., Rm, 102
Greenfield, WI 53220

If applying as:             A background check is done for:


Agent, Manager/Person in charge, Officers, Directors


Partners, Manager/Person in charge


Individual, Manager/Person in charge

Note: Businesses simultaneously applying for an alcohol and entertainment license in Greenfield need to pay the background check fee only once.

An entertainment license associated with an outdoor special event permit must be applied for as part of the Outdoor Special Event application package and within that deadline (30 or 90 days in advance depending on the size and scope of the event). The OSE application and fees may be submitted to the Community Development Division.

Deadline for Application Submittal

New Entertainment License: Applications must be approved by the Greenfield Common Council.Applications must be submitted at least 13 days prior to a Council meeting to be eligible for consideration.  The Council usually meets on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month.  From June through September, the Council meets only once per month (on the 3rd Tuesday of each month).

Renewal of current Entertainment License:  Applications must be approved by the Greenfield Common Council.  Applications should be submitted and paid for by April 15th.

Inspection Approvals

Inspection approvals are required from the following departments before the license can be released:

  • Community Development Department  (414)-329-5342
  • Inspections Department (414)-329-5334
  • Health Department (414)-329-5267

The applicant is responsible for contacting the departments to arrange for inspections.

Request to Extend Licensed Premises

If the event will be outdoors, please first contact the Community Development Division at (414) 329-5342 to determine if an Outdoor Special Event (OSE) permit is required.

If an OSE permit is not required, please complete the Application to Extend Licensed Premises and contact the Health Department at (414) 329-5272 if food will be served. Outdoor merchandise sales may also require a Direct Seller License – contact the City Clerk’s office at (414) 329-5219 for more information.

License Period

License year begins July 1 and ends on June 30th of the following year. Once a license is approved, you will be notified via email that you can access it for printing through your BS&A online account.

Surrender of License

If another business holds an entertainment license for the current license year at the same address, that license must be surrendered in order for the new license to be released. The licensee of the former business should write “I surrender this license” across the license and sign and date the license that is being surrendered.Subm

Posting of License

Licenses must be posted in a conspicuous place on the premises. This requirement also applies to other licenses a business may hold (alcohol license, cigarette license, etc.)

License Renewal

License renewal notices are generally emailed in early March of each year and specify the deadline to renew a license (usually mid-April).


7325 W. Forest Home Ave., Room 102
Greenfield, WI 53220
Telephone: (414)-329-5219
Fax: (414)-543-0591

The undersigned hereby respectfully makes application to the Common Council of the City of Greenfield for an Entertainment License under the provisions of Section 13.07 of the Greenfield Municipal Code.

I understand that I am required to provide my full name, address and other information necessary to conduct a background check. I further understand that my failure to provide accurate information will result in additional background check fees prior to the issuance of any license.


The named

hereby makes application for an Entertainment License.

Address of Business

Mailing address (if different)

Will there be indoor entertainment?

Will there be outdoor entertainment?

Does the entertainment involve shows, exhibitions, circuses or carnivals?

Certificate of Liability Insurance for entertainment involving shows, exhibitions, circuses or carnivals.

Click Here to Upload

Is the entertainment you are providing for a special event or temporary entertainment?

If yes, please answer the following:

Address where applicant can be contacted for at least 7 days after leaving Greenfield.

Have you been convicted of any felony or of violating any law of the State of Wisconsin or of the United States?

Application must be signed by the individual applicant, the agent of a corporation or LLC, or one partner of a partnership.



Sign Here

Choose how to sign